Monday, May 4, 2009

Seattle is nice so long as you're not in a car.

We had a fun show on Friday night at Chez Rios. 3 bands, 60 people 850 square feet. Okay, maybe it was a bit larger space, but it felt pretty well attended. We played a sloppy energetic set. I drummed harder than I have in a long time. Tuesday, Leisa and I are starting a whitewater kayaking seminar. I'm really excited. two pool classes and then a river trip, two weeks in a row!
.
Saturday, Tiff and I dropped Gus off at a friends house and drove to Seattle to visit my Mom. She was feeling pretty down about the possibility of her transplant being delayed yet again. Then early Saturday morning, Mom was admitted to the hospital with some serious stomach pain and dehydration. We arrived safe and sound, despite some really crappy traffic to find Mom and the sisters, boyfriend and a family friend all crammed into a small hospital room. Spirits were a little low, but it was good to be surrounded by family. There was a little concern about the fact that Mom was scheduled to be alone for a few days. That isn't really ok, given her state. Tara and I juggled our schedules and figured out that I can stay until Tuesday and then she can come up and take over until Thursday. Last night after Mom was released from the hospital we went to the grocery store. She isn't supposed to eat anything processed or with skins, or under-ripe, or dairy, or wheat. . . the list goes on. I made her a chicken stock and some carrot ginger soup. I think we're well stocked with safe food for a couple of days. At least we'll have some overlap, so that Tara doesn't have to scramble to present something good to eat as soon as she arrives. Right now we're sitting at the clinic. Mom is completing her insurance paperwork with a Tolstoyan glimmer in her eye, and I'm wondering how she carried that much wood up the hill.
.
Not sure what the plan is for the rest of the day. We're here at the clinic for another 3 hours. I'll be completing some homework, she'll work on the insurance paperwork and then who knows. Maybe we can find an all male revue for her. That might be fun, for her.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Hi E! I hope your mom is feeling ok, are you guys back in Portland? How is Gus? I had a great time playing the other night...I'm off to LA on Friday for a week, but let's rock when I get back.
You are a great person. xoxo D