Friday, October 17, 2008

Finally

I hate to admit that I haven't sat at a potter's wheel in almost 6 months. Unfortunately, it's true. I bought a used wheel a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in my garage taunting me. With school and life taking up most of my time, I haven't made time to throw. It's shameful, and it speaks to my need to address my lack of work ethic lately. Well, tonight I had a few minutes of free time so I wedged up some clay(on the floor, cause I don't have a proper wedging table) and made a pretty terrible cylinder. It was a cylinder, however and I'm glad I did it. Afterwards I threw a few more cylinders and burned through 25lbs of clay in less than an hour. I need to get some plaster so that I can wedge my work back to a dryer workable state a bit faster. Or I guess, I could just pick up some more clay. . . Either way I think I need to get a recycling situation in place.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

Big Boss said...

I've always been fascinated by how Dad can just sit down and throw a perfect vase with seemingly no effort at all. It doesn't even seem to matter how much time passes between pottery sessions, he just never loses it.

In contrast, I can't throw a pot to save my life. I'm not kidding, I'm not trashing my self-esteem or any of that, I'm just being honest. I cannot do pottery, no matter how much I pay attention to the technique and style. I suppose lack of practice is the only reason I can think of at this point. With most things, I pick up on the basics rather quickly, but pottery never worked for me that way. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive to just practice at it.

Looks like I have yet another reason to be jealous of your skills. :)