Monday, October 20, 2008

I spent some time in the garage last night working on the wheel. I had about 20 lbs of Grolleg, which is a clay body that can be a bit of a pain to work with. It is soft and supple, but it doesn't want to stand up to much work. It also doesn't particulary like water, so it was a bit frustrating and pretty exciting to work with it for the first time. Generally, Grolleg based porcelains contain a lot of Iron due to the addition of dirty plasticizers, like Bentonite. One resource suggests using Kaolin based Porcelains, but I don't know if it matters that much for me goofing around in my garage. The aspect I'm excited about with the G based, is that it is supposed to have a wonderful translucent quality when thrown thin and fired. I don't have a kiln or access to one right now, but when I do get to fire something, I'll post some pics.
.
I picked up my cymbals from Diane's house yesterday along with my snare and bass drum pedal. I'm going to try to fit it all in my big bag, so that I don't have to check a bag in addition to my guitar, the thought of which is making me very nervous. I leave in two days. I'm excited to play in and visit New York City again. I'd like to have the opportunity more often, but wouldn't we all? Since all of my luggage space is full of musical equipment, I'm taking only two pair of underwear and socks. I'm only staying for two days. . .
.
It's raining in Portland, imagine that.

No comments: