Thursday, January 8, 2009

3am, still awake. . .

It's just after 3am and my mind seems like it's hooked up to a car battery.
.
Went to bed 4 hours ago and took my art history book. After quite a few pages, I had to stop because my mind was wandering. A few minutes later I picked it back up and again I had to stop.
.
I have to submit my term proposals for both Ceramics and Sculpture on Monday and I keep thinking about all the things I would like to accomplish. I was thinking I might get off easy in the Ceramics class because I'm taking it just for kicks, but Kowkie, my instructor is really challenging me. K has been around since I started school. She was the lab tech in the Ceramics studio during my first term. I ended up taking my work study hours in that studio, so we spent a fair amount of time together. I asked a lot of questions and she generally answered them without getting too annoyed. She is a very good potter, with a cool style and a firm grasp on the balance between good art and social commentary. Richard Notkin said once at a luncheon, "Don't count on the commentary to carry the piece. It won't." K seems to understand that. Her commentary is concise and the forms are comfortable and engaging. She has been a big influence on me. Now that she's teaching in this class, I get to see a different side of her. It's also very interesting to hear and see yet another point of view and process for doing the things we do with clay.
.
Sculpture is pretty open ended this term, with the requirement that we have to present a term plan and cubic drawings of our proposals. A cubic drawing is a 6 sided drawing of an object. If you fold it into a cube, it should give you an idea of what a sculpture would look like from any side. This can be difficult to do. Sometimes my brain gets stuck on certain sides. The front is always the first thing I think of. At some point that should go away and it will seem more natural to think in terms of three dimensions all at once. That is my hope. I'm thinking about incorporating wood into one of my projects this term. I have some sketches that I've been working on. Now it's just a matter of planning and realizing them. The class is Sculpture/Welding, as in sculpting with steel. Emphasis on Sculpture, but also on Welding. . . Hard to weld wood.

No comments: