Saturday, January 31, 2009

This Week: Porcelain, sculpture, line blends and lots of mugs

It has been a bit of a crazy week. I have felt a little sick and missed some class. I didn't have a lot of work this week due to finals at the high schools. I read Clay and Glazes for the Potter by Daniel Rhodes. It's a good resource with a ton of information. I mixed up a base glaze Thursday and did a line blend using cobalt and manganese. I'm hoping to find a decent purple glaze that isn't shiny or flat looking. Somewhere in the middle at cone 1o; interesting and engaging, yet purple. Who knows if that is even possible. I don't like purple blinds or couches much less purple pots, so I think this could be a good exercise. I used a matte base glaze which is very high in alumina. I'm excited to see the results.

Today I went to the studio and finished up a piece for my sculpture class. It's a mixed media piece. I need to pick up some lumber and glue to create the large wood portion of the sculpture. Tonight I'm watching a burnout kiln at the foundry at PSU. I'm not sure why we watch the kiln overnight, but 2am to 10am that's where I'll be. Maybe I can get some welding done! I've got a whole bunch of mugs to glaze as soon as I do some more glaze tests. I want to find a white glaze that is translucent, flashes black in specks and doesn't run. . . I had better shoot for a nap.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Big Boss said...

You have some awesome looking stuff there. I may not have the patience or capability of doing so much as a mug, but I sure can appreciate a good looking set of pottery. Good work.

Megan said...

eric, you're so cool.