Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Porcelain, life-flight, Obama and America

Leisa and I picked up some porcelain at Georgies yesterday. I took 50 lbs of it to the studio today to give it a go. I made 24 oz balls out of a bag(25lbs) and began throwing. After almost 45 minutes, I had 7 poorly thrown cylinders, and 13 lbs of failed attempts. It turns out porcelain doesn't like to be manhandled. I wedged the 13 lbs back into airless shape and let it rest for a bit before revisiting. In the meantime, Kowkie gave a pretty good demo on spouts and showed me how she works with porcelain. She has a much more cooperative and deliberate approach. She reminded me that a predetermined course of action goes a long way with porcelain. It's so soft that when you change your mind about something mid pot, you've got your work cut out.
.
We're working on applying for a variance for Leisa. That means she might be able to attend David Douglas High instead of Marshall. She's excited at the prospect of attending there. She's interested in Ceramics, which makes me happy. DDHS has a really great program.
.
My Mom was life-flighted to Seattle on Monday. She is now undergoing treatment for her cancer. I hate cancer. Not as much as she hates it, but a lot. 
.
The inaugeration yesterday blew my mind. I listened to President Obama and was overwhelmed with hope and joy. I realize that it is a very tough time, and that this uphill battle in America cannot be an easy obstacle for the country, but I really feel like if anybody can inspire us to take the necessary steps, it is him. With that in mind, I signed up for the Worst Day Of The Year Ride. It's a simple indirect thing. I feel like encouraging and supporting a charity that advocates for alternative transportation options is a small way of contributing to the country's well being. A lot of people are struggling in this country. I'm not rich and I certainly don't have my shit together in many ways, but I do have a bit of time and with that in mind, I'm looking for ways to help. If you have anything in mind, holla. 

1 comment:

Megan said...

i'm sorry to hear about your mother's health, E. I'm keeping her and your family in my thoughts...