Monday, November 24, 2008

Afterwards is always a little hollow

Last night was the benefit show for the Leukemia/Lymphoma society. It was a tremendous success! Brian and Dave were Tractor Operator with me and we rocked some Pgun songs at the end of our set. Waking up today I found myself replaying the night in my head and wondering if it was all as good as it felt. It was. It definitely was. It started with a very out of tune soundcheck, and ended with Dave sleeping on the couch while I made bell pepper and corn quesadillas.
Eluvium played and was very good. His songs are constructed using guitar, piano and computer sounds. My friend Jessica says that she plays his stuff at Loyly, her Finnish spa, and nobody ever gets bored or annoyed by it. Laura Gibson played a short set. Much too short of a set since she is really wonderful. Every time I hear her sing I simultaneously fall in love with something and experience tender heartbreak.
Delorean played next and were very good. Kate, who organized the show, played violin with them.
Visual Artists were sketching the bands all night and the drawings were auctioned off for the fundraiser. Overall, the night was just great. We raised over $4000!
Menomena was awesome. I'd never seen them live. Their latest record is awesome, and I've spent hours listening to it. It was really cool to see them pull off all the weird changes all while the drummer struggled with some internal demons. He kept clutching his chest and grabbing his face. Very interesting. . .
Ok, I've gotta study for a quiz. Peace out. Check out Dave's blog for some pics. It's the one in the hot tub that says "run with the hunted".

1 comment:

Megan said...

the show was SO GOOD! I loved every song you guys played, all the TO songs and Pgun songs! My only complaint? your set was WAAAAY too short. i could've used another hour!