Friday, September 19, 2008

A movie about skinny white kids on Belmont, Hopworks and I hate Cancer, but not enough to train.

After another week of having my Mom in town, Tiff and I are picking up the house and getting things in order for yet more company. The thing about company is that it's nice to see people and to spend time, but when you don't get to leave and go home and unwind or deflate, it can be fatiguing. That's me, fatigued. But really, what the hell am I complaining about?
.
Tiff, Al and I went to Hopworks last night. Hopworks is a brewpub on Powell and 33rd(ish). The food was bland, but not offensive and the service was good. The beer was delicious and probably a little too strong for Tiff on a school night. I had a calzone which wasn't really seasoned but seemed to contain fairly pleasant ingredients. Their happy hour offerings aren't very aggressive, but I could see it being a nice place to grab a beer and a $2.50 slice of pizza after work. It was hard to get a table.
.
Al and I are attending a local movie "teaser" tonight. The story is about 5 college friends who graduate and struggle to find their place in the world. It gets complicated when one of the friends goes to Iraq and dies in combat. I must say that I am very skeptical. Not only does this sound boring, but also sort of falls victim to the illusion that a person's job/life is interesting to other people. . . Do people genuinely care about other people's lives? I care about my friends, sure, but caricatures of hipsters, who in ten years will seem completely ridiculous aren't much besides passing thoughts. The majority of people in town already think the hipsters are ridiculous; I should know because that ridicule stings. Maybe the point isn't always to make something timeless and classic, after all, what would the world be like if everybody only created instant-classic-masterpieces? I'm just being rude. I think the event will be fun, and it gives me something to do on a Friday night besides drinking tallboys of coors light and playing GTA.
.
Race For The Cure is on Sunday and I haven't run at all in the last few months except for during MusicFest which you can read about at Dave's blog. Good thing the RFTC isn't called Train For The Cure, otherwise I'd die from guilt of not doing my part.
.
I've been listening to Pedro The Lion lately. This stuff is fucking great!

1 comment:

Megan said...

i love pedro. I saw David Bazaan at Mississippi this spring and he was amazing.