Friday, September 12, 2008

Spiders, Wombs and the Corporate Shitbag

I love that my friend Diane states that, "Sarah Palin is George Bush with a womb." I don't know much about that woman, but I don't like her - and what a mean thing to say about a womb. Maybe it's just the shape of her head, or it could be that I'm not ready for the irony of a conservative republican acting in a manner that could be considered hypocritical (her daughter is a teenage preggo), perhaps it's simply that I haven't prepared for another Republican term. I've heard nice things about alaska, however, and somebody I like lives there. . . Oh, Politics! At least if she becomes VP we'll be able to pillage the village that is Alaskan Oil.
.
So, last night after dinner, I took some multivitamins. I don't know why I take them at night lately, but I do. Wait I remember, it's because last time I took them in the morning, I held my head between my knees for about 90 miles of the trip back to Portland from Eugene, trying desparately not to wash the inside of Gardiner's Ford with the contents of my stomach. I know better than to take them on an empty stomach, but I did and I paid for it. It was probably the drinks from the night before had something to do with compounding my weak stomach lining's inability to cope with a multivitamin, but now I'm rambling. Point is, last night it kept me up. Lying in bed reading, I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, a fucking huge spider crawling around T's head. Not on it, just around it. It was big, not Indiana or Chicago big, but for Portland, it was a mammoth of a spider. I spent the next half hour re-directing it with my book so that it wouldn't crawl on her. Eventually it crawled out the window and I continued reading. I don't know why I don't smash spiders anymore, but I don't like to do it. I guess I'm getting sentimental.
.
Normally I would be off to work at this point, but after some interest slightly-unethical corporate behavior, I'm finding it nearly impossible to drag my ass back in there. I'm not surprised that GC would act the way they have, but I'm surprised at my not seeing it coming. I'm getting soft. I have always sort of hated GC. They undercut local businesses by selling on the slimmest of margins, and they offer their full time employees a shitty healthcare package. They don't pay well, even for those that have worked there for years, and they create a hostile environment for staff. It's a really strange thing that I work there. It's definitely time for a change.
.
I'm looking forward to my little sister's 21st on Monday.

2 comments:

snider said...

My grandmother would order "wolf" spiders in the mail. She would place one in room (in one of the corners). They will just hang out there. Apparently they will devour cockroaches like nobody's business.

I want a spider that will devour cat puke. can I get one of those?

Big Boss said...

Palin, to me, was McCain's final nail in his coffin of likely voting possibility for me. Not that I really ever wanted to vote for him, but now I'm pretty much 100% against voting Republican, instead of 99%.

Tell Tara to have a happy birthday for me.

~Chris