Sunday, September 28, 2008

The waning season

We had a really fun show last night. Pony Village was great. The Squids was awesome, with a five man assault. We had a fun set and aside from some trouble keeping my floor tom mic attached, and breaking through my kick drum head, it was pretty smooth. I received a copy of Ed Cole's new band's disc. The Underlings are a rock band from Eugene. Some of the songs are really old Cole' classics and many are new aggressive rock and roll songs. I'm looking forward to giving it a lot more spin time.
.
Today we got up and made a salad with orzo pasta, green beans, cherry tomatoes and fresh corn off the cob. The dressing was olive oil, mustard, shallots, vinegar, tarragon, salt and pepper. We took our salad over to the Jones' house and hung out with a lot of very nice people. The sun shined, the people smiled and hopefully, we all soaked in a last little bit of summer. I think it's so important to get together and share food and conversation in the weather. It happens too seldom in my life. I'll have to make a point of doing it more often.
.
Tiff and I were talking today about how to instill a sense of social leadership in our children. How awesome would it be if our kids asked to have a potluck, where each child prepared and brought their favorite dish to a party? Can you imagine? Peanut butter and banana sandwiches, corndogs, hotdogs, mac n' cheese with potato chips on top etc. . . The idea of that is pretty great to me.
.
I'm getting ready to start school tomorrow. I've been waiting so impatiently for a couple of months and now I'm starting to panic. I don't know why I'm worried, I've done this all before, but I'm a little nervous. I think the main thing I'm worried about is starting a language class. I'm taking Japanese. With no real connection to any language I'm even remotely familiar with, it's a daunting thing to imagine. Is language all decoding, or does logic or comprehension come into play this late in the game? Language acquisition as an infant is so much easier. Our brains operate on a principal of "use it or lose it". At almost 30 years old, I've lost a lot.
.
Here goes. . .

1 comment:

Big Boss said...

Good luck. Japanese is a neat language that I know absolutely nothing about, outside of "Domo Arigato" and "Konnichiwa."

Now, French, on the other hand, is quite nice for hitting on the ladies by saying completely nonsensical things.