Thursday, September 11, 2008

Early afternoon flip a coin and get out of bed.

Talk about a sobering morning. Alright, it's noon, and I just rolled out of bed. Made a press of coffee and sat down to read my favorite blog, which I read every day. I wasn't sure what to listen to as I lie in bed waiting for the right time to get up, and when I did find that time, it was Bonnie Prince Billy. The songs are so melancholy and beautiful. Normally that would be great, except BikeSnobNYC's blog is about the fine line between life and death and how yesterday in Brooklyn he happened upon a puddle of blood which had been disconnected from it's cyclist.
.
I learned how to ride a bike when I was 5, and I rode a lot as a kid. I tried to learn tricks and ride wheelies. I started riding less when I was given rollerblades as a kid and after those I skateboarded. Somewhere along the way I began to hate riding bikes. Then last year I started loving it. I try to use it as my only form of transportation, except in Grand Theft Auto of course where I prefer to steal and ride police motorcycles. The point is, riding is dangerous when you're a kid because of the pressure to do tricks and go fast. As an adult, the danger is deadlier because of the confusion between drives and riders. Commuters die a lot and for those operating the vehicles that share the responsibility, life can never be the same. As a rider, I follow most of the rules of the road, just like when I'm a driver. In both capacities, I keep my eyes open. Maybe that's all we can do.
.
I've been avoiding mowing the lawn for a month. Don't worry, the lawn doesn't grow in the summer. The weeds, however, are another story. Maybe I'll do that today. I wish school would start.
.
Anybody want to ride bikes?

No comments: