Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Man, am I tired. Today was the first day of school. I guess I should clarify that YESTERDAY was the first day of school. I managed to make it home before 2am, but I had an action packed day. It started out with reading the blogs that I read every day. I found out that my brothers live in Kansas now. Holy shit! fucking Kansas? WTF? I know that's a lot of base language, but really? FUcking KanSAS? ARGGGHHHH. I also found out that my dad and family moved from tiny boring Lyman, Wy. to tiny boring St. George, UT. The great thing about that move is that the weather is so much better in St. George, not to mention that we've got very important family there. That information arrived early. I left for school and managed to make it 7.49 miles in about 27 minutes. The weather in Portland today was muggy and hot. . . thank god!
.
Japanese class scared the shit out of me. 4 days out of 5 per week will be taught in Japanese. The instructor was calling on people randomly to repeat phrases that make no sense in any romantic language. It's a beautiful sound, but so foreign. I understand that their chosen method is to implement a culture of listening rather than reading. I wish I could have taken notes, though.
.
After a 4 hour break, I had 3d design class. Talk about a pain in the ass. . . The instructor seems nice enough, but his demeanor is neither engaging or inspiring this early in the term. Furthermore, we were fortunate to receive a powerpoint presentation that not only took 4o minutes to begin due to a lack of technological proficiency, but failed to inspire me to appreciate my instructors aesthetic taste. Sure, his craftsmanship is inspiring, but this isn't art-school make no mistake. Having had 6 terms at PCC, which costs next to nothing, yet manages to provide an engaging education along with a very well stocked studio, regardless of media, I'm feeling less than lukewarm about PSU. I know I'm judging prematurely, but I have a hard time being reasonable, knowing that there isn't a pottery wheel on campus.
.
Fast forward to a text message from Aljon notifying me that he had bought me a ticket to Mission of Burma. WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOWOWWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOW
I thought I would never have the opportunity to see Mission Of Burma. I'm still ringing in the ears. I don't know why I stood so close to the amps, but I did. It sounded great and despite the fact that those guys are really old, they killed it! Seriously, I love that band and seeing them live is a gift that I did not expect. Pictures are on the way.
.
now I have to eat some tamales and hit the sack. I'm tired!

1 comment:

Big Boss said...

Eh, Kansas isn't so bad. The weather is great most of the time and there are fireflies here.